Rampur History– Rampur is a city, and the municipality headquarter of Rampur District in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It was formerly known for its various industries, like sugar refining and cotton milling. Its library has more than 12,000 rare manuscripts and a fine collection of Mughal miniature paintings.
It is the administrative headquarter of Rampur District, the only Muslim majority district in the state, according to the 2011 Census of India. It is also called the city of nawabs and is known for its Rampuri Chaaku (knife).
As per medieval history, Rampur was the part of the Delhi region and was divided between Badaun and Sambhal districts. Being situated on the upper side of Rohilkhand, it was known by the name Kather and was ruled by Katheria Rajputs.
The Katheria Rajputs resisted Islamic rule for about 400 years, fighting the sultans of Delhi, and later with the Mughals they went to repeated battles with Nasiruddin Mahmud in 1253, Ghiyas ud din Balban in 1256, Jalal-ud-din Khalji in 1290, Firuz Shah Tughlaq in 1379 & Sikandar Lodi in 1494.
Later, at the beginning of the Mughal period, the capital of Rohilkhand was changed from Badaun to Bareilly, and hence the importance of Rampur increased.
The Rohilla War of 1774–5 began when the Rohilla Pathans – dominant in the area – reneged on a debt they owed the Nawab of Oudh for military assistance against the Marathas in 1772. The Rohillas were defeated and driven from their former capital of Bareilly by the Nawab with the assistance of the East India Company’s troops lent by Warren Hastings.
The Rohilla State of Rampur was established by Nawab Faizullah Khan on 7 October 1774 in the presence of British Commander Colonel Champion, and remained a pliant state under British protection thereafter.
Faizullah Khan laid the first stone of the new fort at Rampur and thus Rampur city was founded in 1775. Originally it was a group of four villages named Kather, the name of Raja Ram Singh. The first Nawab proposed to rename the city ‘Faizabad’. But many other places were known by the name of Faizabad already existed, so the name was changed to Mustafabad alias Rampur. Nawwab Faizullah Khan ruled for 20 years.